[governance] Cost of access - the meters ticking

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Wed Jun 4 20:34:23 EDT 2008

All,

Let me add to the excellent list that Suresh started, the following:

- Appropriate policies for consumer protection for Internet
transactions, both national an international

- Fair and equitable licensing regimes for ISPs consistent with
general business licensing processes at the national level

- Regulation that encourages, or better yet, requires cost based
pricing of Internet access

- A level playing field between incumbent telcos and international
Internet gateway providers on the one hand and independent ISPs on
the other hand

- Ability of ISPs to form their own international gateway connections

- Issues of filtering content at the national level

- Permissive policies for anonymous communication

- Acceptability of tools (such as encryption tools) for protecting
confidentiality of communication

- Net neutrality with respect to traffic type, e.g. VoIP

- Strong anti-spam legislation, effective implementation and vigorous
prosecution, including enabling national authorities through training
and facilities the ability to identify, prosecute and convict spammers

These are issues that by an large unite civil society, the Internet
community, and the business community.  They are issues of policy
that can be addressed in parallel in all countries of the world, and
the goal of addressing them is to make the Internet available,
accessible, affordable, useful and more secure than would otherwise
be the case.  IMHO these are the kinds of issues that not only should
be discussed here, but are directly actionable at the national level.

Are members of this group mobilizing action in these directions; if
not, is there interest in doing so?   Or is it just easier to talk
on-line about issues at the international level that have little if
any connection with the real individual user experience in, say,
developing countries?

George

George Sadowsky                              george.sadowsky at gmail.com
2182 Birch Way                           george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Woodstock, VT  05091-8155               http://www.georgesadowsky.org/
tel: +1.802.457.3370                       GSM mobile: +1.202.415.1933
Voice mail & fax: +1.203.547.6020       Grand Central:
+1.202.370.7734
SKYPE: sadowsky
     governance at lists.cpsr.org