[governance] multistakeholding was Re: N & CoI

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Tue Jun 3 12:03:55 EDT 2008

hi,

hermeneutics and exegesis - my favorite indoor sport  !

On 3 Jun 2008, at 17:46, Parminder wrote:

> > > All members serve in their personal capacity, but are expected to
> > > have extensive linkages with relevant stakeholder groups.
>
> > Personally I always interpreted this sentence to mean that the more
> > linkages to various groups the person had, the better.  i.e
> > multistakeholding people for a multistakeholder world.
>
> Ok, I may be doing further hair-splitting but that doesn’t look like
> the intent of the original communication.
>
> "The Advisory Group will renew up to one third of its members within
> each stakeholder group.  All relevant stakeholder groups,
> representing Governments, private sector and civil society,
> including the academic and technical communities will submit names
> to the Internet Governance Forum Secretariat.  All members serve in
> their personal capacity, but are expected to have extensive linkages
> with relevant stakeholder groups.  Members need to be willing to
> reach out and ensure continuous flow of information to and from
> interested groups and to participate actively and constructively in
> the Group’s work."
>
> See the singular in 'group's work'. And the term 'relevant'....

yes.  i believe  the Advisory Group is the singular group.

i thin the singular/plural distinction that is most explanatory in
this is in the previous clause:

> Members need to be willing to reach out and ensure continuous flow
> of information to and from interested groups

i.e. the members are expected (again just my personal probably flawed
interpretation)  to communicate with groups (plural) thus matching the
idea that they may have many stakes in the fire and hence contact with
many stakeholding groups.

and of course the stakeholders need to be relevant and interested.

cheers

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org