[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Jun 3 09:14:27 EDT 2008

On 03/06/2008, at 8:05 PM, George Sadowsky wrote:

> I guess that you believe in confrontation of stakeholders' interests
> as a way to make progress.  I would rather believe in, and practice,
> cooperation in finding acceptable middle grounds.

No that's not my position at all, although it is a theory (called
agnonism) that some do assume, arguing that consensus is always a mask
for oppression and that "a vibrant clash of democratic political
positions" is a more authentic form of democratic engagement.

Without accepting that at all, I hold that the assumption that the
stakeholder groups are equal, either in political and economic power,
or in the source of their legitimacy, is as specious as it is
fashionable.  Without confronting these underlying inequalities, the
MAG will simply institutionalise them.

I have therefore put forward a model of a consociational bureau for
the IGF that would preserve the distinct identities and autonomy of
each of the stakeholder groups within the MAG, whilst mediating the
power imbalances between them (see pp.294-297, 312, 464-467, 471-474,
478-482 of my book, http://books.google.com/books?id=G8ETBPD6jHIC).

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org