[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Mon Jun 2 13:10:41 EDT 2008

Milton,

When you say below, "Who represents us on the MAG," I have to point
out that all MAG members serve in their individual capacity and do
not represent any external group.  That point has been made
repeatedly by Nitin Desai and Markus Kummer.

I suspect that you are aware of this and that the phrasing below was
just not well thought out.  But others may not, and it's a crucial
distinction to be remembered.  The group is not selecting its
representatives; rather it is selecting those people in whom they
have confidence will distinguish themselves if selected as effective
MAG members in the public interest, according to the rules of the MAG.

I know that it must be frustrating not to be able to draw your own
conclusions from direct observation, but it is my opinion that the
majority of MAG members, when speaking in MAG meetings, do try to
represent a general and public interest, admittedly each through
their individual lenses, rather than being explicitly channeled by
narrower interests dictated by their background or the organization
from which they come.

George