[governance] Re: Discussion analysis

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:31:31 EDT 2008

Ginger wrote
 "Discussion lists can be a spectator sport J as well as online learning".
I agree with the latter (onlin larning) and abhor the first that
appears some what perjorative. People are spectators of a sport for
playrs performances  for which they gain moral satisfaction. But a
spectator in an Online discussion? Me think not.
May be the allusion to "quiet" subscribers to the list discusion is
what preempted that conclusion.
Some forumers are quiet because some topics are not within their
centre of interest. Unless, we will say that we are out for Jacks of
all trades on this forum.
This will be more difficult to obtain than landing man on Jupiter

Aaron

On 6/2/08, Ginger Paque <ginger at paque.net> wrote:

> Robert Guerra said:
>
> 1. I'm curious if an analysis has been done on the comments posted on this
> thread to date - specifically the gender, linguistic diversity and regional
> breakdown of who is posting, and the positions being put forward.
>

> Ginger says:
>
> That would be very interesting. I don't know how valuable, or of what use,
> but it would sure be interesting. So might a chart showing who knows whom,
> and what previous relationships they have had.
>

> Robert Guerra said:
>
> though a select few seem to be posting far too often, others - seem to
> quiet. As this seems an important topic, let's make sure that all members of
> this list - be encouraged, and given the chance to comment.
>

> Ginger says:
>
> I think each person posts as often as they see fit, by their own criteria,
> and that there is no "too often" or "too quiet". Some of us are, ok, some
> would say, "lurking"—but I would say watching and learning. I am observing
> discussions by people I have read, seen on panels and agreed or disagreed
> with. It is interesting to contrast prepared presentations to these
> impromptu behind-the-scenes conversations. But I would say these are
> discussions that are sometimes challenging to really understand and digest,
> much less join. Discussion lists can be a spectator sport J as well as
> online learning.
>

> Saludos (Greetings, in Spanish)
>
> Ginger
> ________________________________

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22