[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Robert Guerra lists at privaterra.info
Mon Jun 2 09:19:56 EDT 2008

Having followed this thread I have a couple of comments:

1. I'm curious if an analysis has been done on the comments posted on this
thread to date - specifically the gender, linguistic diversity and regional
breakdown of who is posting, and the positions being put forward.

though a select few seem to be posting far too often, others - seem to
quiet. As this seems an important topic, let's make sure that all members of
this list - be encouraged, and given the chance to comment.

2. In my view - RIRs should be included as a full member in our IGC
discussions.

During phase II of WSIS as well as post-wsis, i have had the chance to
better appreciate the role and contribution played by Regional Internet
Registries (RIR's) in the IG discussions. Two particularly, i followed
closely - that being LACNIC & ARIN.

LACNIC's role in engaging a wide set of stakeholders in the latin american &
Carribean region is to be commended. They are a very active stakeholder in
the LAC region, and contribute to the regional (mostly spanish & portuguese)
IG list. From what colleagues in the region tell me  - they are quite
respected and seen as a good example of facilitator, one that brings
different stakeholders together.

Having an actor such is this active and involved in the IGC, in my opinion -
is much needed. In my view, the decision weither or not it should have full
representation on this list (and structures it creates) should be determined
not by those unfamiliar with its work - but instead from CS from the LAC
region.  When consulting views from the LAC region - one will find much
support, and this should be taken into consideration by those who seem to
post ad-nausem about this topic.

In terms of comments about ARIN , I have the upmost respect for them - Ray
and others - as well. The comments I mention about LACNIC, equally apply.
But, I will add some additional comments - that being commending ARIN for
their outreach and engagement at the recent NTEN conference in New
Orleans.   Sharing information about IG and engaging non-profits, and the
public at large is a role - all of us should be be doing - but, few are.
ARIN's efforts in this regard is to be commended.

As someone from the NA region - who knows their their consultation and PDP
are truly bottom up - would recommend their full member of this caucus.

Thus - of the two RIR's that I know - seem to have the processes and track
record of effectively engaging the public and CS . Simply ignoring the fact,
is not recognizing the hundreds of voices who speak at their public
meetings.

RIR's in my view - bring a value, experience and knowledge of their regions
to the IG discussion table. Their consultation processes are open, and in
many ways represent far more "CS" then many on list. To simple ignore their
role or importance - is just wrong.  It my opinion, to summarily dismiss
their role, importance and exclude them as a full member of this caucus -
would be a strategic mistake.

regards

Robert