[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 07:06:23 EDT 2008

My apologies, Suresh, but we aaaaare getting a bit tired of 'hearing'
your voice! (BTW, people do 'talk' off list and its is a
'considerable' consensus) Could we hear someone else for a
change??????  PLEASE!!!

My very best regards,

Rui

On 01/06/2008, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> Parminder [31/05/08 22:32 +0200]:
>

> > > 1. He/She needs to have CS cred
> > >

> > This suggests that 'CS credentials' should be used as a key and 'the'
> >

>  This suggests that CS cred should be used as a key, yes.
>

> > > 2. And needs to declare / satisfy the nomcom about conflicts of interest
> > >

> > The part of nomcom statement "Candidates employed by Internet Governance
> Organisations - Another matter
> > that emerged was whether to accept candidates who are full time employees
> of
> >

>  That is exactly what we take issue with. The nomcom exceeded its mandate,
>  and ignored precedent, by arbitrarily shutting out this section of
>  candidates.
>
>  It also introduced a strong element of bias into the process. Yes, there
>  are similarly chartered organizations to the RIRs that might align much
>  better with intl org rather than cs, but the RIRs themselves are much
>  closer to CS than those, and they are also eager to work with CS. Shutting
>  them out and maintaining a "us versus them" mentality rather than an open
>  mind is definitely not appropriate.
>

> > suggests that the nomcom satisfied itself, and decided, that certain
> > structural situation, as described, involved a conflict of interest.
> >

>  Indeed, and who then authorized the nomcomm to make this unilateral
>  decision without coming back to the caucus? Rule 5 as McTim points out?
>
>         suresh

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa