Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Jun 1 12:09:43 EDT 2008

Ken,

The point is the opposite:

The 'UN' should NOT be more involved in supporting the community's virtual organization.

The UN should just get out of the way.

There appear to be volunteers offering to take on some of the load, whether organized as working group or dynamic coalition.

With all due respect to (SU ABD) Chengetai, reality is the small IGF secretariat staff doesn't have time to deal with the http://www.intgovforum.org/ website, much less remote participation. Last time I looked the site was still the bare bones pre-web 1.0 embarrassment slapped together a while back, I'm sure with no budget.  Any number of IGC members could do way better in their spare time.  (Not me).   Or some pro web developers could donate service for the global public good...which I'm fine with as long as that is done in the context of an IGF working group or dynamic coalition or whatever.

In sum, point is multi-stakeholders, 2/3rds of whom - private sector and civil society - typically are way better at organizing remote participation than national governments or international intergovernmental organizations, should be able to organize remote participation for IGF III, in  a ,utlistakkeholder fashion.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> klohento at panos-ao.org 05/31/08 5:13 AM >>>
Hi McTim

McTim a écrit :
> Well, from my experience the IGF webcast/chat functions have been
> unusable.

You're right, the systems don't always/most of the time work well. (just
for info, maybe it was already mentioned : for MAG meetings, we often
use Marratech http://www.marratech.co.uk/ and it works quite well often
- but I think it's not adequate for public IGF meetings, notably because
it requires more technical arrangements from the user side).

> Now I recognise that I am not like "most people"

of course, you're not :-)

> 2) I CAN and DO participate remotely in the "existing Internet
> administration bodies" events on this same link.  This is not
> surprising given the amount of experience (RIPE meetings webcast for
> ~5 years, others slightly less) AND the type of NOC they can run on
> site.

It seems to me a crucial issue is that the UN engaged itself more
decisively in IGF and provide more resources for it's whole management,
notably to better remote participation.

Best

KL
     governance at lists.cpsr.org