[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Jul 31 16:11:29 EDT 2008

DOC has commented on ICANN's call for comments on improving insititutional
confidence at http://www.ntia.doc.gov/comments/2008/ICANN_080730.html

The statement reads like an end of term report for a non-performing student,
with barely a word of encouragement.

In regards to a root zone transition agreement, the statement includes

"The Department believes strongly that it is important to clarify that we
are not in discussions with either party to change the respective roles of
the Department, ICANN or VeriSign regarding the management of the
authoritative root zone file, nor do we have any plans to undertake such
discussions. Consistent with public statements made by the United States
government starting in 2000 and reinforced by the 2005 U.S. Principles on
the Internet's Domain Name and Addressing System, the Department, while open
to operational efficiency measures that address governments' legitimate
public policy and sovereignty concerns with respect to the management of
their ccTLD, has no plans to transition management of the authoritative root
zone file to ICANN as suggested in the PSC documents".

We may not like ICANN's performance on all counts, but we would like it to
be our ICANN..

Ian Peter

Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd

PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com