[governance] What do you guys want in a IGF website?

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 11:13:14 EDT 2008

Hello All,

I want to expand it a little more.  I have come across comments in this and
other lists related to the diversity of participation at the IGFs.

One reason why the IGF is not inclusive is that the debates so far are
largely confined to a technical and policy making elite. It is very positive
to see so many eminent professionals taking part in the debates and the
policy making process, but Internet is huge and it is more international
than any thing that ever happened on earth. It requires greater
participation in debates, requires to consider more diverse view points.

Can we think of levels or layers of participation? A list like this could
continue to be of the same caliber of subscribers, an official website such
as intgovfourm.org can be more of an administrative interface, but the new
IGF website could be a multi-level or a multi-layered web

- a level/layer in the nature of an ORKUT or a facebook as a 'general' dmz
level for exposure of the issues to the non-technical common man,

-  another level/layer in the nature of LinkedIn Answers or Yahoo Answers as
a 'participate' level

and

- deeper level/layer in the nature of the present CPSR list as a
'policy-making' level

This would be a combined web, where it should be possible for anyone (in
total, hundreds of thousands of members) to move his way up. At each level
the members would observe the self-regulatory conventions and etiquettes of
the level.

Each layer would have features suitable for the visitors/subscribers of the
layer. For instance Aaron Agien Nyangkwe's suggestion of "Quote for the Day"
would be in the nature of an easy to view and understand "story" at the
'general' level for the common man to understand something new about the
Internet / Internet Governance. At the CPSR level, it could be a salient
comment related to policy-making drawn from the discussions in the CPSR
list.

There can be various models and we can think deeper to come up with a site
architecture and content design.

Thank you
Sivasubramanian Muthusamy