[governance] workshops ***important***

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Jul 16 01:59:08 EDT 2008

The MAG will start trying to evaluate and select workshops.

If you are involved in organizing a workshop please look at
<http://www.intgovforum.org/workshops_08/wrkshplist.php> and make
sure information is up to date, and that any merging you have offered
is reflected, etc. If you find problems, please contact the
secretariat immediately, cc me if you wish.

Not much time, do it now please.

Please let me know about any offers you have made about merging, of
request for more information about how to merge that aren't reflected.

The secretariat has suggested some general criteria to be used by MAG
members when considering workshops, these are:

* relevance to the agenda of the meeting;

* diversity of views and perspectives;

* multi-stakeholder approach;

* geographical diversity;

* involvement of developing countries;

* relevance with regard to the cross cutting priorities of
development and capacity building.

And whether the organizing group held workshops in the past and
completed a report will also be a consideration (or it should be.)

Requests to merge have not been very successful, so if we are to
reduce the number of workshops, as seemed to be the general sense of
contributions made after both Athens and Rio then the MAG's going to
have to start saying no.  And that's not an easy process easy (and
probably not much fun either.)

The schedule has slots for just over 40 workshops and there are 85 on
the website at the moment.  Initially 101 workshop proposals were
received, so can see merging hasn't been very successful.

Thanks,

Adam
     governance at lists.cpsr.org