[governance] ISP liability - a critical IG issue

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jul 7 07:50:19 EDT 2008

In message
<7663C7E01D8E094989CA62F0B0D21CD901884142 at SUEXCL-02.ad.syr.edu>, at
07:11:59 on Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes
>The European Parliament is continuing down a repressive path

Seems a little harsh as it's the Parliament that's usually more liberal
than the Commission and Council.

>as it prepares a series of amendments for its Telecoms Package. As yet
>there seems to be little awareness by Europe's citizens over what is
>being planned

As you know (and as described in the news item you quoted [from where?])
the ISP immunity is enshrined in the ECommerce Directive. Having spent a
lot of time getting that Directive through the system eight years ago, I
have a significant interest in any measures in the current proposed
revised Telecoms Framework directives that might attempt to water it
down. You are correct that there's "little awareness" of this happening
at the moment, although we know a review of the Ecommerce Directive
itself will happen maybe next year.

Therefore I'd be grateful for any specific information you have on which
individual [Telecoms Framework] amendments are attempting to do this (as
apart from anything else, it's the wrong Directive to be meddling in
such things).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org