[governance] What's Effect of Prolonged Surfing on The Net

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Jul 1 03:58:57 EDT 2008

Hi Aaron,

Not sure I can be of great help here, but your question is intriguing so let
me make a few observations.

Firstly, a number of people who spend 14-16 hours on line have ended up very
wealthy, and others have used the Internet to acquire useful knowledge that
helped them advance their careers. Others have found lifelong friends and
partners. I'm not going to openly criticize time on line - I guess what
matters is what your friend's son is doing during those hours. What's his
rationale? How is it helping him?

Irrespective - that many hours on line requires some balanced physical
activity during the day, and also good posture while on line. The Internet
can exercise his mind (depending on what he is doing) but it can't exercise
his body. Eye exercises can become particularly important after hours spent
staring at a screen (in this respect, TV is just the same)

Secondly, many people believe there is such a thing as internet addiction,
and it can lead to unbalanced lifestyles. While I am absolutely sure that
no-one on this list would have ever shown signs of addictive on line
behaviour, medical experts have suggested that such conditions exist. (If
you Google internet addiction you will see many references - Kimberly Young
is one of the main writers in this field).

Excessive twittering is a giveaway sign. Compulsive on line conversations
about matters of no substance is another.

But let me quote Sara Kiesler from Carnegie Mellon University, who has been
writing about on line behaviour since before the Internet was called the
Internet. Sara says "There is absolutely no evidence that spending time
online, exchanging e-mail with family and friends, is the least bit harmful.
We know that people who are depressed or anxious are likely to go online for
escape and that doing so helps them."

In her view, television addiction is worse!

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org