[governance] IP Addresses Are Personal Data, E.U. Regulator Says

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Jan 29 12:50:59 EST 2008

Meryem Marzouki wrote:

> Besides this, I hardly understand what an "usurpation of personally
> identifable information" could mean, though I know what is an
> "usurpation of identity". But these are different concepts

I'm looking at this with California eyes (California having right to
privacy, unfortunately a right narrowly interpreted, in its state
Constitution); and I suspect that you are looking at it using EU eyes.
That difference, understandingly, would create some differences in the
way we use words.

The way I see it use of an IP address by a unauthorized third party to
create a packet that purports to come from one of the two real TCP
endpoints is both a usurpation of identity and also a possibly
unauthorized use of information (the IP address) that can be related to
a individual person.

The first aspect - the usurpation of identity may be actionable under
various non-privacy laws, criminal and civil, ranging from deceit,
misrepresentation, and fraud to damage to reputation.  (That last aspect
might be, for instance, ones reputation for running a reliable network
service - such a reputation being damaged should that service be
perceived as generating an excessive number of TCP Resets.)

The latter aspect, the mishandling of information (the IP address) that
relates to an identifiable person, is where I perceive that the privacy
aspects are to be found.  Perhaps I should have said "misuse" rather
than "usurpation" with regard to the handling of the IP address as
personally identifiable information.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org