[governance] summary of the advisory group's discussion about

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Jan 28 10:44:37 EST 2008

At 9:29 AM +0530 1/24/08, Parminder wrote:
>  >Parminder:
>  > "excerpts" means in this case the posts were extracted from the
>>larger discussion on the list, not that portions were taken from
>>individual posts (unless to anonymize etc.)  Not a summary either as
>>I mistakenly characterized.  Nothing has been sanitized.  Sorry for
>>any confusion
>
>Thanks for the explanation, Adam.
>
>>Jeremy:
>>A member of the advisory group suggested the discussion be made
>>public.  See writer B on page 6.
>
>>Adam
>
>A good thing is a good thing whatever its causal factors. Though it is
>difficult to believe that this move, and the previous one in September last
>year to publish a summary of closed door proceedings of MAG, has nothing to
>do with UN SG's direction to improve the flow of information to
>stakeholders....

Parminder, Hi.

I think we can be pretty certain both were a result of the Secretary
General's request for greater transparency.

Advisory group meeting notes were a response to suggestions made
during the open consultation September 3. And while it's not explicit
in the advisory group's email, I think pretty clear the reason for
making the email available was to follow the SG's instruction.

>Adam, your simplistic explanation above raises 2 points

I thought by pointing to the post where it was suggested people could
see for themselves what was said rather than hearing my
interpretation. You don't need filters when the source is available.

>On the negative side - does it mean future email and face-to-face
>discussions will not have open full transcripts (if anonymized).

(Negative?)

Not yet been discussed on the advisory group list if future email
from the list would be made available.  I hope it will be. I expect
there'll be some issues people won't want made public, but as a
general objective I can't see why other threads shouldn't be
released. But I'd stick to threads rather than the whole list.

If you think the email extract useful then please send a note to the
secretariat saying so. Showing appreciation's perhaps a good way to
help it continue: say thanks and ask that as a general trend it
continues.

By full transcripts of face-to-face meetings do you mean real-time
transcriptions of the closed advisory group meetings, same as we have
from the open consultations? Best I can remember no one's suggested
this. I imagine the main problem would be resources: money to pay for
the scribes, and also perhaps some technical set-up issues.  But you
could suggest it.  In the meantime I'm expecting reports from the
advisory group meetings to continue.

>On the positive side - if one of the MAG members asks for it (which we urge
>CS members of MAG to do regularly) will they be made open?

Will what be made open, the currently closed advisory group meetings?

Has the caucus agreed it wants this?  I think a bad idea.

One thing I would like to see is a roll-call of who attends the
closed meetings, particularly who the observers are.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org