[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Jan 25 01:47:01 EST 2008

On 23/01/2008, at 7:47 PM, Parminder wrote:

> (1)     A main issue is about stakeholder quotas. Should it be
> fixed, should there be a minimum number, or should there be no such
> guideline at all and  it be left to the judgment of the ultimate
> authority for constitution of MAG to come out with an appropriate
> composition representing the full diversity of stakeholders.
> (2)     Then there is the issue whether ‘technical community’ (which
> also needs some kind of definition) should be considered a separate
> stakeholder group or not.

These two questions go together, and as far as I am concerned there
should not be a division between the two sub-groups, and there should
be a fixed quota for each of the other three groups.[0]

A few reasons why there should not be a new stakeholder group for the
technical community are that:

* The Tunis Agenda (although pretty confused on the whole question)
doesn't
   recognise it as a separate group, but as a segment of the other
groups;

* If the technical community is a distinct stakeholder group, then the
   academic community will argue that it should be also, and if them
then why
   not also the press, and if the press then why not also...

but most importantly:

* One of the biggest problems with the whole process has been the
distrust
   between the technical community and the rest of civil society.  The
   technical community thinks that civil society is just a bunch of
whinging
   career activists who have no understanding of the Internet's
culture and
   history.  Civil society thinks that the technical community is an
insular
   and hubristic club of technocrats in the pocket of the private
sector.
   In my view, if we cannot break down these divisions within broader
civil
   society then we have not much chance of tackling the even deeper
gulfs
   between civil society and the UN and governments.

> (3)     How do we see the balance of skills versus representative-
> ness as criteria for composition of MAG. What other criteria and
> guidelines are relevant in selecting members.

This asks the wrong question.  Consider ourselves as the founding
fathers of a new nation here.  The nation, if it is democratic, does
not ask, what are the qualities we most want in our government?
Rather it asks, how do we most transparently allow our citizens to
select their own government, by whatever criteria *they* see fit?

Of course, a democracy protects the rights of its minorities through
mechanisms such as human rights and equal opportunity.  So there is
merit in allowing criteria of gender equity and regional balance to be
institutionalised in whatever process for MAG selection is adopted.
But that is as far as it should go.

Since we do not have a demos for civil society to elect the members of
the MAG, the alternative as I have suggested is to form an open,
voluntary, randomly-selected nominating committee to do so, not unlike
the IGC's own.  We then have to work on outreach to ensure that this
NomCom is as diverse as possible.

> (4)     What percentage of MAG members should rotate annually?

I would have suggested half, but I'm not going to argue against those
who are pushing for one third.

> (5)     How members from each stakeholder group should be chosen?
> Should it be  a strictly a stakeholder group controlled process,
> should stakeholder groups give nominations and the UN SG mostly go
> by it other than for clearly stated reasons like of geo/ gender
> balance, or it should largely be a UN SG controlled process whereby
> a good consideration is given to stakeholder nominations.

It is a fallacy to put forward that UN SG or his delegates are neutral
parties who bring none of their own values to this process.  In fact,
from the get-go, Nitin and Markus have been partisan to the interests
of governments, have pushed to ensure that the IGF remains closely
controlled by WSIS insiders, have consistently talked down the scope
of its mandate, and through inaction have limited the scope for
participation in the IGF by ordinary Internet users.  (But this is not
personal; of *course* they will do that.  They work for the United
Nations.)

The selection of stakeholder representatives *must* be reserved to the
stakeholder groups themselves, subject only to basic universal
criteria of social equity.

> Then there are more structural issues like,
>
> (1)     what is the nature and authority/ decision making power of
> the MAG

Its authority is going to be very closely tied to its legitimacy.  So
although, of course, this question needs to be addressed, let's wait
until after it has been made more representative and accountable
before doing so.  (That's one reason why I and others have preferred
to talk about a decision-making MAG in different terms, as a multi-
stakeholder bureau rather than an "advisory group".)

> (2)     What kind of decision making processes should be put in
> place to make MAG effective (we noticed the paralysis it suffered on
> perhaps the only, and very minor, issue that it has ever tried to
> take a decision on – selection of speakers for the plenaries.

Consensus (but expertly facilitated using a consensus workshop process
or similar, to help ensure that the more powerful stakeholder
representatives do not abuse their power to silence other voices),
with a fall-back to voting.

> (3)     The very important issue of what should be done to ensure
> transparency and accountability of the MAG.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but open the mailing
list.  If governments are going to insist on Chatham Rule, then
someone (hell, I'll volunteer to do it) can easily write a script to
strip out all identifying headers and sigs from the messages before
they are publicly archived.

> There are some other minor issue like the role and selection of the
> Chair and the relevance and role of a co-chair.

The co-chairs should rotate between two of the stakeholder groups
every year.  One of them should be from the host country secretariat.

[0] This should really be the other four groups, except that
intergovernmental
     organisations have only been observers so far and I am not
proposing that that
     should change.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org