[governance] summary of the advisory group's discussion about its future

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 23 22:59:58 EST 2008

>Parminder:
 > "excerpts" means in this case the posts were extracted from the
>larger discussion on the list, not that portions were taken from
>individual posts (unless to anonymize etc.)  Not a summary either as
>I mistakenly characterized.  Nothing has been sanitized.  Sorry for
>any confusion

Thanks for the explanation, Adam.

>Jeremy:
>A member of the advisory group suggested the discussion be made
>public.  See writer B on page 6.

>Adam

A good thing is a good thing whatever its causal factors. Though it is
difficult to believe that this move, and the previous one in September last
year to publish a summary of closed door proceedings of MAG, has nothing to
do with UN SG's direction to improve the flow of information to
stakeholders....

Adam, your simplistic explanation above raises 2 points

On the negative side - does it mean future email and face-to-face
discussions will not have open full transcripts (if anonymized).

On the positive side - if one of the MAG members asks for it (which we urge
CS members of MAG to do regularly) will they be made open?

Jeremy's observation is with respect to the fact that we have regularly
asked for providing records of MAGs closed door deliberations, and in
September consultations these points were added to outcome doc on the basis
of CS inputs, though we are under no illusions about the power of these
interventions vis a vis UN SG's diktat.

This is also not to minimize MAG's own initiative to open up its
deliberations which speaks of their increased confidence in being able to
relate to and be accountable to different stakeholders. We do hope that such
reforms keep taking place, and as Jeremy says CS and IGC has an important
role here..... I mean here to stress the significance of Jeremy's
observation and imploring....

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org