[governance] Assessing the ICANN JPA

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Jan 18 20:23:27 EST 2008

Milton L Mueller [18/01/08 13:02 -0500]:

>>So, given that, what difference does it make if the
>>JPA exists or is removed?
>
>Not sure how seriously to take this question. The answer is that JPA
>gives one agency of the US government (The Commerce Dept) the ability to
>set priorities and policy objectives for ICANN.

Not that they have meaningfully exercised it, that you'd notice

And if it is industry lobbyist driven, AND icann is also, as you keep
alleging, industry lobbyist driven, I can't see where it makes one whit of
difference.

Can't operate in a power vacuum you know.

1. USG - won't (and can't) let up control

2. The UN - lots of people dont seem to want that, lots of governments do,
the USG doesnt. So probably the USG stays - possession = 9/10ths of the law
etc etc

3. Civil society, caucuses etc etc - try getting some form of actual
consensus first. And then keep trying to get consensus for everything
starting from indenting for paperclips and printer paper.

	srs
     governance at lists.cpsr.org