[governance] FYI: ICANN Releases Its Submission to the Midterm Review of the Joint Project Agreement

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jan 11 11:55:02 EST 2008

Dan:
Ending the JPA simply means that the USG withdraws from one form of oversight, but retains the IANA contract. The JPA (like the MoUs before it) is a bit more prescriptive and explicit in its policy guidance. It is good to get rid of it. The issue of the IANA contract is far more fundamental; that is what gives the USG life and death power over ICANN.

ICANN's lack of accountability to its public remains a problem, of course. Removing the JPA does not, as far as I can tell, afftect that either negatively or positively. It removes one lever that the USG has for imposing accountability on the organization, but we want ICANN to be accountable to the Internet public, not to the USG. And it is difficult to argue that the US Gov serves as a suitable proxy for the global public interest.