[governance] 'One Laptop' a hit in Peruvian village!

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Jan 2 15:50:21 EST 2008

Sylvia Caras wrote:

> I did G1G1.

Or "Buy two, get one".

Whatever it's called, it's a good program.

I have not yet tried mine out on an IPv6 net - all of my wireless is
IPv4 and I did not find a driver module for a USB based copper ethernet
adapter.

I did not notice any network management hooks (such as an SNMP server),
but I may have missed it.  I'm kinda concerned about the issue of
managing (locating?) and repairing these things in the field and my
first scan suggests that they were a bit light on the diagnostic tool
side.  On the other hand that might be readily cured via a collection of
tools on a USB "thumb drive".

Mine (accidentally) underwent the drop test - it survived.

Keyboard is too tiny for me to use in any efficient way.

I use the same CPU and companion chipset on another project on a
different hardware base.  I don't have to do the bit pushing to do
graphical user interface.  The slowdown seemingly caused by the burden
of driving a GUI appears rather significant.  If my experience is
indicative, its raw computing abilities are much more than the speed of
the user interface would suggest.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org