[governance] IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Feb 29 03:34:51 EST 2008

> V6 and v4 can certainly reach each other ..

Izumi and Bertrand I think tried to figure out in this thread if they really
can or they cant, and under want conditions they can and what are the costs
and limitations of those 'conditions'. And if they cant reach each other, or
can reach only in a very 'costly' way, why so, and why care wasnÂ’t taken, or
if it were ever possible to have done better in another reconfiguration, etc
etc... I myself am interested to know all this. I cant speak for Izumi and
Bertrand but I am still not clear at all. Apologies for my naiveté.

Now, for easier understanding, can I put some questions, direct answers to
which will perhaps help people who are interested in this from a policy
point of view.

(1) I understand v6 and v4 as applications on which Internet runs. We know
of numerous applications where upgrades keep hitting us by the day. But
almost always they are backward compatible. What is so unique about this set
of applications that such compatibility was not possible?

(2) What special gains were obtained in the new design v6 to make it in
manner that it is not backward compatible. Were these gains evaluated
against the losses of non-compatibility, or non-seamless-compatibility. Who
evaluated it, and what were the principal criteria/ objectives/ values being
followed for this evaluation?

I know I am not the original person raising these questions, but
still......And if answers to these are available in an accessible manner
somewhere, pl point it to me. Thanks.

I am rather concerned about the prognosis given by Karl of IPv6 leading to a
lumpy Internet arranged around applications (a loose interpretation of what
he wrote). I am already very apprehensive of this happening on its own
without v6. So from a socio-political point of view it is important to know
if v6 contributes to further moving of the Internet towards a commercial
applications (controlled by big IT companies)centered Internet from a more
open end-to-end common IP based one. Even if this shift is 'relative', it is
of tremendous, in fact central, socio-political significance. It will
determine the relatively 'open and public domain' versus 'marketplace
controlled by big companies' nature of the Internet.  I may just be being
paranoid, but these thoughts come to my mind.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org