[governance] Why we need IPv6 and why you should care

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Feb 28 15:25:37 EST 2008

Meanwhile from an article by Loki Jorgensen I get the following table of
implementation issues for IPv6

    * Relatively easy
          o Implementing dual stacks in LAN and WAN
          o Enabling IPv6 in operating systems
          o Setting up essential IPv6 services, e.g. DNS, SMTP, NTP
          o Setting up IPv6 in certain key services such as HTTP
    * Moderately hard
          o Composing an effective address/domain deployment
          o Operating a dual stack network
          o Multicasting
    * Very difficult
          o Security infrastructure such as firewalls, proxies, VPNs, etc.
          o DHCP
          o Dealing with incomplete and broken implementations
          o Promoting adaptation at the social layer
          o Soliciting vendor support

Ian Peter
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
Australia
Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
www.ianpeter.com
www.internetmark2.org
www.nethistory.info

Checked by AVG Free Edition.