[governance] IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Wed Feb 27 17:45:30 EST 2008

On 27 Feb 2008, at 15:19, Thomas Narten wrote:

> Actually, the reason people use the term "transition" is because the
> IETF used those terms from the beginning. Even today, we have
> "transition" techniques. That is what they are called in the official
> standards, and those names have been picked up and carried through via
> vendor literature. In retropsect, a poor choice of terms, but there it
> is.

I remember as long ago as four years ago trying to get people to
change to the language of co-existence.  I do not believe it was just
inertia that made that change impossible.  Are you sure that there
isn't still a strong component in the technical community that
believes in the universal deployment of IPv6 and the withering of
IPv4.  Also while I admit I am only a tourist in IPv6 meetings and on
IPv6 mailing lists, I must say I have seen few indications that we are
tending toward an awareness of co-existence or that we working on
genuine co-existence.  In fact I am not sure I have seen the word co-
existence used on a V6 mailing list since a few occasions back in 2005.

I am not trying to bash the V6 people here, a lot of them are my
friends.  What concerns me is that I believe that most people who work
on V6 are still working on the model of transition and are not really
giving serious consideration to co-existence (or at least as a tourist
in V6 land since 2004 I don't see it).  While the work being done is
technical  isn't it a policy decision on the part of IESG and IAB to
not have put a big push on getting us to think about the technical
issues of co-existence (in the same way they put a big push on getting
us to think about inter-domain routing problems)?

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org