[governance] Why we need IPv6 and why you should care

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Feb 27 06:38:46 EST 2008

It is of great interest!!!

> The consequences of NOT deploying IPv6 will be large

Agreed.

> and
> from a public policy perspective, overwhelmingly negative.

That depends on the incidence of costs and benefits, i.e. the
distributional effects of the transition. Those distributional effects
are in turn functions of public policy. So one cannot make a categorical
statement that the policy effects are negative. Rather, one should say
that policy(ies) should be forged that maximize the benefits of the
transition and avoid costs and disruptions, but do not try to force
people into a transition that doesn't make economic or technical sense
for specific entities.

To put it perhaps more simply deploying or not deploying v6 will be
strongly influenced by "public policy", and that means that RIRs and
ISPs will be policy makers. It is possible to have policies that promote
v6 deployment that have overwhelmingly negative effects, and it is
possible to have policies that are designed to preserve the viabnility
of v4 as long as possible that might have good public interest effects.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org