[governance] IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Guru guru at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 27 04:55:25 EST 2008

McTim,

"I think this is empirically false in terms of current policy and current
proposals for v4 exhaustion.  I think I have pointed out before that in the
current situation, Africa, Latin America and Asia Pacific regions will have
IPv4 address space to distribute after the US and Eu registries run out of
v4 (at current allocation/assignment rates)."

This is a correct statement if you believe that the current usage pattern
across these countries/continents will be stable beyond the short term and
is even_desirable_or_acceptable.

However, if our goal is to build a "inclusive information society where all
people have access to knowledge, enabling individuals, communities and
peoples to achieve their full potential in improving their quality of life",
then it is reasonable to assume that people of Africa and Asia will also
need to have same 'levels' of participation in the information society as
those currently in US and EU have. Meaning that the usage of the Internet
will need to be similar across these geographies (in which case nearly 1/2
of the total addresses ought to be just from India and China!).

A progressive and forward looking vision that we need to own and work for
would include enabling creation of the information society visualised in the
WSIS DOP. This also implies we work to set up proactive governance
structures that understand their responsibilities in this regard. 'Industry
led' governance structures could not be expected to deal with these larger
complex issues since these geographies do not offer sufficient 'incentives'.
Whereas the history of social movements suggests that change on a large
scale (including items like schooling), requires significant collaborative /
public efforts. IG will be an opportunity to innovate new structures and
processes for such collaborations across different groups in society.
Including the wider CS constituencies we spoke of sometime back on this
list.

This discussion has a parallel to the discussions on climate change/global
warming. While the US (or some in the USG) would like to compare the
absolute emissions of fossil fuel use of India, China and US, as the basis
for emission control; the developing countries have argued that this is not
fair and what we need to compare is per-capita emissions rather than
absolute emissions, since we do not aim to build a society where certain
countries/economies 'enjoy higher standards of living' and others condemned
to 'lower subsistence levels'.

Regards,
Guru