[governance] Why we need IPv6 and why you should care

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Feb 26 17:45:28 EST 2008

Hi Thomas, and thanks for that. A couple of questions to help me understand
further.

> The trouble with NAT is that it only allows one to open connections in
> one direction. I (at home) can initiate connections to the rest of the
> Public Internet, but you cannot initiate a connection to me. This is a
> fundamental restriction of NATs.

My understanding is that the major deployment of NATs is with corporate
networks and government networks. Am I right? And isn't the capacity to
ensure that you cannot make a direct connection from Internet to any one of
hundreds of thousands of computers in corporate networks fundamental to
network security as currently practiced? In other words, aren't they going
to want to have NATs for network security, IPv6 or no IPv6? So won't NATs
just live on?

> Consider a cell phone with an IP address (the model of all future
> devices...). Life sure would be a straightforward if "phone calls"
> simply consisted of the caller being able to initiate a direct
> connection to your cell phone. That simply doesn't work in a world
> full of NATs.

But does it work anyway within IPv6, which, like its predecessor, was not
designed for mobility? Isn't one of the unresolved technical issues with
IPv6 mobility and multihoming? Doesn't multihoming mean that if I change
away from my home base (as one tends to do with a mobile phone) the IPv6
address will have to change, i.e when a node changes its point of attachment
to the Internet, its address becomes topologically incorrect? I understood
that the change of the point of attachment is still problematic?

It would help me to understand this better if people with knowledge can
answer these questions in simple language such as that used by Thomas in
this posting!

Thanks,

Ian Peter
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
Australia
Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
www.ianpeter.com
www.internetmark2.org
www.nethistory.info

Checked by AVG Free Edition.