[governance] IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Feb 26 15:53:09 EST 2008

Agreed, we need to look at this as co-existence. If TCP/IP networks survive,
IPv4 and NATs are not going to go away via deployment of IPv6, or not for
some years or decades. So we need to understand very carefully what the
coexistence issues are and how they can be best dealt with.

Central to this are a range of immediate deployment issues. That should be
the focus of anyone wanting to encourage IPv6 deployment.

We also need to look carefully at what co-existence means in practice.

ARCHITECTURE

Architecturally, we have moved from

IPv4+NATS or IPv6

IPv4+NATS+IPv6+dual-stack (with a strong probability of IPv6 NATS as well).

Not pretty!

RATIONALE FOR DEPLOYING IPv6

When we accept co-existence, we then have to ask why would anybody bother to
deploy IPv6. It’s a lot of hard work, particularly for large corporations.

I realize a few governments are now beginning to mandate IPv6 in tenders.
That will make them all behave, I hear some say. I doubt it - for years in
the early 1990s governments mandated OSI in tenders and we just got on with
deploying TCP/IP instead and created clever words in tender documents to
avoid the rather silly requirement being put on corporations by governments
who didn't really realize what was involved. Government tender requirements
will not succeed in enforcing IPv6 deployment.

Being forced to by governments aside, the only reason in a co-existence
scenario that anyone apart from geeks would bother to upgrade would be
because they cannot obtain an IP address unless they go IPv6. So, the
address-rich have no motivation - only the address-poor have sufficient
reason to bother.

This creates a series of public policy issues. Market or no market, the
address poor are almost certain to be largely confined to LDCs and/or those
least able to afford to purchase in an open market. As the address rich
don't need to bother, there will be little in the way of hardware and
software to smooth widespread adoption. Clever solutions will arise but they
are likely to be based on variations of NATs, not adoption of IPv6. Either
way, connectivity is not good.

So yes, I believe we have to accept and understand co-existence. But we also
have to understand that it may have social ramifications we don't understand
yet.

I think that we have to realize that co-existence is not pretty, which is
why there is a strong argument for transition. Therefore, against the logic,
socially and architecturally, of the current transition strategy, we have to
consider the complete lack of a compelling reason to migrate and the
realities of human behavior as factors making any successful transition
highly unlikely. Therefore, like it or not, co-existence is with us for a
considerable period of time.

This is not an easy issue!

Ian Peter
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
Australia
Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
www.ianpeter.com
www.internetmark2.org
www.nethistory.info