[governance] IPv[4,6, 4/6] was IGF delhi format

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Feb 22 16:13:40 EST 2008

Avri Doria wrote:

> i would still like to see a real strategy for co-existence of the two
> addressing architectures that had an actual chance of wide scale
> deployment and success.

Ditto.

I remember when I was at Sun in the early 1990's when the idea of IPv6
was born.

And even then people were saying - "hey, the real problem is not
addresses but, rather, routing."  IPv6 doesn't help routing at all, in
fact, because it doesn't share with IPv4, it adds an additional burden
without alleviating the existing burden.

And I remember ISO/OSI and the mandates of GOSIP and MAP and TOP.  That
entire brouhaha lasted less time than the decade+ gestation we have seen
for IPv6 so far.

And I have yet to obtain a real answer of how I can deploy a new IPv6
network without simultaneously having to deploy a parallel IPv4 network
- every time I need an IPv6 block I'm going to need an IPv4 block.  All
of those devices on store  shelves are V4 only.  And I have yet to see
really good answers to the question of how an IPv6 client (user sitting
at a web broswer) is going to seemlessly reach and use all of those
IPv4-only services out there on the installed base internet.

In my mind I perceive IPv6 as a new internet that lays alongside the
existing IPv4 internet.  It shares the physical wires, yes, but not much
else.  Apart from IPv4 address scarcity - a problem that we have learned
to resolve in large part through NATs, there is not a lot of pressure to
move.

It is still my opinion that we are headed for a lumpy internet - with
lumps of address spaces connected by application level gateways.  Such a
lumpy internet would resemble the cellular telephone networks in that a
few services - such as voice calls - easily and fairly transparently
cross the boundaries.  But those boundaries will become difficult to
traverse for new things or for user-created tools; innovation from the
edge will be limited to occur only within a lump not across lumps.

Of course, such a lumpy internet would require a partitioned, but
consistent set of DNS systems and root servers.  That would end the
authority-by-grace-of-singuarity that is enjoyed by bodies such as ICANN.

And the routing problem remains, but with a lumpy network and well known
application level gateways the routing problem becomes one of reaching
the ALG's rather than reaching every possible end point on the total
internet.

A lumpy internet is to many of us a prospect that is unpleasant.  But I
have concern that it may be unavoidable or, if avoidable, will occur
anyway as the political forces of national governments looking to their
own drive the ip-geography of the net to conform to the physical
geography of national and regional borders.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org