[governance] Reconstituting MAG - FINAL(?) the missing section

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Feb 22 15:44:49 EST 2008

Here is what McTim and I have agreed on as a formulation.(which is a pretty
good start!!) Can we get a few yeahs?

The rules for membership of the MAG, including in terms of representation of
different stakeholders, should be clearly established, and made open along
with due justifications. Full civil society representation is necessary to
ensure legitimacy for this new experiment in global governance.

We think that as per Tunis Agenda's multi-stakeholder approach, membership
should be divided equally among Stakeholders.

We also agree that the organizations having an important role in Internet
administration and the development of Internet-related technical standards
should continue to be represented in the MAG.
However, their representation should not be at the expense of broader civil
society participation.

Ian Peter
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
Australia
Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
www.ianpeter.com
www.internetmark2.org
www.nethistory.info

> Or maybe this fits better for second sentence and is agreeable? - MtTim if
>  you like it better I'll include it now in a redraft

I like it better than last iteration, but was just about to suggest this:

We think that as per Tunis Agenda's multi-stakeholder approach,
membership should be divided equally among Stakeholders (or SH
groups).

Can you live with that?

So now it would read:

The rules for membership of the MAG, including in terms of
representation of different stakeholders, should be clearly
established, and made open along with due justifications. Full civil
society representation is necessary to ensure legitimacy for this new
experiment in global governance.

We think that as per Tunis Agenda's multi-stakeholder approach,
membership should be divided equally among Stakeholders. [or SH groups
if you prefer]

--
Cheers,

McTim