[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Feb 21 19:23:54 EST 2008

. Yes, I mean that this is the type of question
> that is not factual and thus cannot be answered by anyone with the
> degree of authority the question seems to ask for. The question touches
> upon an issue that needs debate.

Sure, in that case, I will clarify that the question only seeks greater clarity, to the extent it can be provided. It puts the question on the table. There are many questions that cannot be answered with complete authority by anyone, but can this then stop people from raising the question at all. And especially CS whose main task I understand is to ask questions...

As for seeking a workshop on this issue, we are seeking it separately, and we did hold a workshop at Rio. Where to from here... just carry on holding workshops. Why would we be so defensive about a simple question...

And the question is, to quote the draft, "We will also like greater clarity at this point whether MAG has any substantive identity other than advising the UN SG".

When we were discussing MAG stakeholder/ representation categories you had asked us to move on, and I quote you

"My point is that the discussion of the statement should not focus any longer on this aspect but move on to other paragraphs.
What I find most crcuial to discuss is the role of the MAG beyond advising the SG and the topics we propose for the next IGF meeting."

But, if I get it right, now you are saying lets not discuss the role of MAG beyond advising the SG...

In my view, the MAG is not in a
> position to carry out the Forum's mandate or to formally represent the
> Forum. In fact, it would instantly loose all legitimacy and the bit of
> trust it may enjoy if it tried to do such things.

Has MAG no role in carrying out the mandate... Who and how will it then be carried out then. Is it your views that some crucial parts of the mandate need not be carried out at all. If so then it is just a matter of political preference, not to find value in certain parts of the mandate. I see great value in those parts, and as I said, in our May 07 statement we did identify these value adding parts.

Parminder .

     governance at lists.cpsr.org