[governance] main themes: 4. A Development Agenda for Internet Governance

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 12:04:16 EST 2008

Colleagues,

As previously I come here not to praise....

I don't find anything objectionable in Bill/Parminder's phrasing re: #4
below...

However, in the interests of avoiding mission creep and in CS solidarity I'm
attaching a draft document that I've been responsible for preparing for the
CS contribution in advance of the OECD Ministerial in Seoul in June.

This document deals with "ICT4D" issues and is meant to be somewhat
comprehensive with respect to those issues from a CS perspective.  Comments
and suggestions are welcomed.  (They could be addressed to me directly
(probably better off line) or added to the wiki
<http://wiki.thepublicvoice.org> http://wiki.thepublicvoice.org .  This
document is part of one chapter in the broader statement that is being put
together by Katitza Rodriguez of Public Voices.)

I'm sending this to this list for two reasons... One to get expert feedback
and content/referencing additions/suggestions (please!) but also to do a bit
of boundary maintenance.

By my estimation, assuming that the attached paper #1.3 is somewhere in the
ballpark with respect to issues of concern to CS in the ICT4D space then I
would guess that there is roughly at most a 20% overlap between the issues
identified in this paper and what would conceivably be of interest in an
Internet Governance perspective.

Nothing wrong with that. It makes sense for folks to deal with the issues
that they know and can comment on from a base of knowledge and experience.

The second reason is to indicate two issues:
   1. it should clearly articulated that the proposed IGF theme on the
"Development Agenda..." is both necessary and sufficient for Internet
Governance purposes that is the discussion is one concerning "A Development
Agenda for Internet Governance" rather than "An Internet Governance Agenda
for (ICT4)Development"...

The second problem that I see is that there is no forum where the other
aspects i.e. of the non-IG aspects of the Development Agenda can be
discussed in an open, participative and multistakeholder manner as per the
processes of the IGF.

That isn't to say that the IGF should expand its mandate, as I've said so
boringly times before, the range of actors who should be involved in the
latter discussion is rather different (including and particularly from a CS
perspective) from the range of actors currently involved in the IG
discussions..

As a thought, it might be a very useful and usefully collegial initiative if
the IGC caucus were to take some initiative in stimulating the creation of a
counterpart ICT4D policy forum to operate in parallel with (and partially
contributing to) the IGF.

Best to all,

Michael Gurstein