[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 20 13:13:12 EST 2008

Jeannette

> I said also this:
>
> This discussion on how to properly define civil society won't lead
> anywhere as there is as yet no common definition of the term.

But this doesn’t mean that there are no basic principles at all for what we
call as CS - excluding government bodies for instance. And if we examine the
basis of this logic we can see that it rests on the separation of those (or
that) who governs from the governed (and CS is supposed to give
participation, accountability seeking etc space for the governed vis a vis
the governors).

Would that logic not also extend to any body that does governance (IG bodies
arguably do governance), to separate these bodies from those on whom this
governance impinges... You find no problem with not separating these in the
IG spaces? But then why is CS in the IG space at all - is it not to seek
civil participation in governance, to seek accountability of gov
institutions. How can this be done without first conceptually and
structurally separating from them... are these meaningless issues. Do they
merely distract us from our path... What path one may question...

Does the non-separation of governance institutions from those on whom the
governance impinges not favor the former over the latter, who are supposed
to be the CS. So, is this non-separation not CS unfriendly. (In fact, it
leaves little logic for its existence). Does the insistence of those
associated with these governance bodies to seek such non-separation not a
tactics to avoid wider accountability.

The logic that the CS is ill-defined (deliberately, as CS is the residual
sector, and anti/non-institutional sector, it cannot itself get too
institutionalized) cannot be extended to mean CS is a meaningless category.
These are two very different things. And we are trying to establish the
meaning of CS in the IG space. It will remain a contested territory, but we
need not hurry to close discussions.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org