[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Feb 20 11:57:01 EST 2008

At 7:50 PM +0530 2/20/08, Parminder wrote:
>  > I agree with Bill.
>>
>>  I think we should simply be arguing CS has been under-represented for
>>  the past two years and we wish to see a fair rebalancing as new
>>  members of the MAG rotate in.
>>
>>  Adam
>
>I thought there was some agreement on Ian's formulation, after McTim and Lee
>agreed to it.

There's might be some agreement, but sorry not from me.  Not to all
the statement.

I would like to see a full version of the statement rather than a few
paragraphs (and do appreciate all your work.)

>I am still not able to understand if your and Bill's problem is that the
>formulations as developed earlier(finally, Ian's) was unlikely to get rough
>consensus, or you are expressly against mentioning the fourth stakeholder.
>(Ian already removed references to its over-representation, something which
>you, Adam, mentioned in the first place).
>
>I wonder why we may think this is not the time to mention this when it is
>being discussed in MAG, as per its list transcripts. When MAG is discussing
>it why are we not ready to considerer the matter at all. And when the
>presented occasion is about speaking about MAG, its categories, levels of
>representation, legitimacies etc.
>

>Anyway, I am putting below the formulation as it stood after Ian's
>amendments, bec some may have missed parts of it.
>

>(starts)
>The rules for membership of the MAG, including in terms of representation of
>different stakeholders, should be clearly established, and made open along
>with due justifications.

I am not sure I understand.  What would you want such rules to say?
(for example, what would you write if you were the secretariat
responding positively to the sentence  you suggest above?)

instead how about something like:

In the interest of transparency and understanding the
responsibilities of MAG members, when making appointments to the MAG
we ask the secretary general to explain which interested group
(stakeholder group [press release tends to use "interest"]) that
person is associated with.

Reason: This is still a group appointed by the secretary general as
his advisors, we can't demand he justify why he appoints people to
advise himself.  Unless we challenge the notion of it being an
advisory group that advises him in convening the IGF (which we could
do...)

>Full civil society representation is necessary to
>ensure legitimacy for this new experiment in global governance.

What do you mean by "full"?

>. There are seven civil society members at present in a MAG of 40, an
>anomaly which should be corrected in this round of rotation of members.

How about:

Civil society has been under represented in the multistakeholder
advisory groups appointed in 2006 and 2007, this anomaly should be
corrected in this round of rotation and a fair balance of members
between all stakeholders assured. (I'd be happy to add: At least one
quarter of the MAG membership must be drawn from Civil Society.)

>We think that as per Tunis Agenda's multi-stakeholder approach, membership
>should (ideally) be divided equally among governments, civil society and the
>business sector.

I disagree. I think it is progress to see the emergence of a new
stakeholder group in the IGF.  I have no problem with the
technical/admin Internet organizations being a separate group in the
IGF. I just do not want them to continue to be over represented.

>. We also agree that International organizations having an important role in
>the development of Internet-related technical standards and relevant
>policies should continue to be represented in the MAG. However, their
>representation should not be at the expense of broader civil society
>participation.

Again I disagree. And I think I may also be confused...  The
technical/admin Internet organizations are not "International
organizations" in the sense the label's used in UN. And if they were
they would typically be observers not members.  Either way, it
doesn't make sense to me.

Grumpy recalcitrant outlier'ish thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org