[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Feb 20 09:20:01 EST 2008

> I agree with Bill.
>
> I think we should simply be arguing CS has been under-represented for
> the past two years and we wish to see a fair rebalancing as new
> members of the MAG rotate in.
>
> Adam

I thought there was some agreement on Ian's formulation, after McTim and Lee
agreed to it.

I am still not able to understand if your and Bill's problem is that the
formulations as developed earlier(finally, Ian's) was unlikely to get rough
consensus, or you are expressly against mentioning the fourth stakeholder.
(Ian already removed references to its over-representation, something which
you, Adam, mentioned in the first place).

I wonder why we may think this is not the time to mention this when it is
being discussed in MAG, as per its list transcripts. When MAG is discussing
it why are we not ready to considerer the matter at all. And when the
presented occasion is about speaking about MAG, its categories, levels of
representation, legitimacies etc.

Anyway, I am putting below the formulation as it stood after Ian's
amendments, bec some may have missed parts of it.

(starts)
The rules for membership of the MAG, including in terms of representation of
different stakeholders, should be clearly established, and made open along
with due justifications. Full civil society representation is necessary to
ensure legitimacy for this new experiment in global governance.

. There are seven civil society members at present in a MAG of 40, an
anomaly which should be corrected in this round of rotation of members.
We think that as per Tunis Agenda's multi-stakeholder approach, membership
should (ideally) be divided equally among governments, civil society and the
business sector.

. We also agree that International organizations having an important role in
the development of Internet-related technical standards and relevant
policies should continue to be represented in the MAG. However, their
representation should not be at the expense of broader civil society
participation.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org