[governance] IGF delhi format

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Feb 20 06:57:14 EST 2008

Agree with the statement, and particularly with
Mereym's comment that discussions must be related
to "global Internet governance".  It's in the
statement but should be emphasized (move it up.)

I would add that the New Delhi IGF marks the
halfway point in the IGF's mandate. Essential the
meeting addresses all aspects of the IGF mandate
(main sessions and workshops as the statement
suggests.) Stock taking and the way forward could
then be used as a mid-term review where we begin
considering whether the IGF should continue after
2010, under what conditions (if any etc) (TA para
76).

About the multi-stakeholder organization of
workshops -- always intended to be a principle
not a rule.  And as the caucus / civil society
seems to have followed the principle better than
most, I don't think we need to worry too much.  I
would delete from "the later criterion..." to the
end of the paragraph.  I think over emphasizing
this might have a negative effect on CS.

There was still too much duplication of subjects
of workshops in Rio.  If there were more time to
organize things then all proposing workshops
could be asked to work with others proposing
similar themes to refine and merge their
proposals (perhaps in working groups?)  I like to
see something like this in the caucus statement,
and that an initial call for workshop proposals
should be made shortly after the February
consultation.

About speed dialogue -- can we recommend that the
IGF try innovative means of discussion rather
than referring to speed dialogue specifically.

About participation.  For what it's worth, more
CS participants in Athens and Rio than other
stakeholder groups. "lopsided" in the opening
sentence reads oddly (to me).  Suggest deleting
that sentence, and the paragraph could begin with

It is important to improve the participation of
currently excluded and under represented groups
in both the IGF's public consultations and the
annual meetings.  (and keep the rest.)

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org