[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Feb 19 03:09:53 EST 2008

> And
> > also that anyone who gets paid by government, PS, or CS but is heavily
> > involved in ICANN, ISOC, IETF, whatever, should henceforth be nominated
> by
> > one of the three UN stakeholder groupings and be counted from their
> "seat
> > allocations"?
>
> No, I am fine with they coming in ICANN plus's quota and representing
> them.
> Who said anything to the contrary? I think you may be confusing tech
> community, on one hand, as we describe as a cross-cutting category (as we
> did in 07 statements, and in the first draft in the present process) where
> we mean all techies whosoever, and Int tech community (also often called
> tech community), on the other hand, by which is meant int orgs... a good
> proof that it is important that this confusion be avoided by using clearly
> different names for these two very different categories, isn’t it.

And if I have not got your point right, and you are merely wondering if who
pays should be the main identity defining characteristic, I think who pays
is important and can never be lost sight of, but if substantive activity is
carried out as a part an specific organization within its overall role and
mandate and representing its interests (and not specifically of the paying
party) than a person can be said to come from that organization, and be
presented accordingly in MAG. In any case this is a decision to be taken by
the concerned org if they will put forward the said person as their rep, and
thereby counted in their quota. And whether the person is a rep of the pay
master, it is the decision of the pay master, and according considered in
that category/ quota.

As I said these are complex issues and while we can have some overall
principles they may still be needed to be sorted out at specific levels.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org