[governance] WSIS, ICT4D, the IGF and other...

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:42:35 EST 2008

Thanks for the opening Parminder and note that I've changed the subject
linel...

As some of you will recall, the WSIS was nominally directed towards linking
ICTs with the "development agenda".  Much of CS participation in the first
(and ostensibly 'substantive") Geneva round (and led by Bill McIver and
others) was to deal with ICT4D issues.

It was only in the second (Tunis round) that "governance" issues came to the
fore and where CS (through this list) and others began to focus more or less
all of its attention onto those matters through the IGF.

The designation of groups for post-WSIS "implementation" has meant that most
of the substantive issues were assigned to one or another of the UN paper
mills never again to see the light of day among non-paper millsian folks...

Post-WSIS policy discussions were (at least informally) meant to be
proceeded with on the governance side through the IGF and on the ICT4D side
through the Global Alliance for ICT4D (i.e. the GAID which morphed from the
UN's ICT4D Task Force when that agency sunsetted in December 2005...

Since then, the IGF has captured more or less all of the attention of CS,
and seems well on the way to becoming some sort of "agency" and focal point
for all forms and measures of post-WSIS substantive policy discussions cf.
Don Maclean's recent post on Sustainable Development and the IGF, and Tom
Lowenhaupt's suggestion of a Cities TLD theme.

In the meantime the GAID publicly abjured itself from a "policy role" (the
Santa Clara meeting), attempted to establish itself as a
programmatic/implementation body (through its partnership with Intel and
through its adoption (as its own) of various already existing programmatic
initiatives (Telecentres.org, the African connectivity initiative)). In
addition, the GAID adopted for itself a completely non-transparent and
top-down governance structure and only infrequently surfaced as the
sponsor/co-sponsor of various events in various places with little
coherence, virtually no frameworks for non-centralized participation, and
little visible contribution to ICT4D "policy".

In the absence of any "there" being "there", the IGF has, through its own
vague adoption of a "development" mandate (and "access" as a theme) begun a
measure of mission creep into the ICT4D space.

Back to what Parminder points to below... Before the Rio IGF I did an
informal survey among the various e-lists where grassroots ICT4D engaged
parties would be found to determine how many of them might be attending the
IGF.  I got, I believe 3 positive replies--one of whom was an official who
would likely be sent as part of a delegation, and two were from Brazil who
might be attending out of some general interest in the subject... (of course
there may have been more, who didn't reply but the email was circulated to
the 3 or 4000 folks who would most likely have an interest (from a "bottom
up perspective") in ICT4D policy issues.

The recent GK3 conference in KL on the other hand had very large numbers of
the relevent ICT4D folks, virtually no participation from the CS folks on
this list (at least by casual observation) and again willfully and evidently
deliberately stayed away from substantive policy discussion in favour of
case studies, how to's, presentations of programs etc.etc.

To conclude this ramble, I do not think that the IGF is an appropriate forum
for ICT4D policy discussion (not including the very very small sub-section
where ICT4D and IG issues narrowly defined overlap...)

The communities (particularly on the CS side) do not overlap in
representation, knowledge bases, interest, or overall desired outcomes (for
the events).  ICT4D needs to have its own policy forum (I guess a subsidiary
spun off group from the IGF if properly constituted might work) and
particularly one where the necessary voices of grassroots ICT4D folks can
make themselves heard.

How or where to do this, I have no idea at this point, but that a gap exists
becomes more evident each day.

Michael Gurstein

M. Gurstein (2007) "What is Community Informatics? (and Why Does It
Matter)", (Polimetrica. Milan)
http://eprints.rclis.org/archive/00012372/01/WHAT_IS_COMMUNITY_INFORMATICS_r
eading.pdf