[governance] Senate OKs Immunity for Telecoms

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Feb 16 22:08:33 EST 2008

Dan Krimm wrote:
> Sorry for the sporadic peanut-gallery engagement here, but WRT this:
>
> At 4:54 AM -0800 2/14/08, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>
>> I must admit, nor would I regard anything from moveon.org or the EFF when
>> taking about the internet as anything other than propaganda ..
>
> I like EFF

As do I.

We should strive that in all our ventures of internet governance to
remember that the purpose of governance is to improve the lives of people.

One way in which lives are improved is to provide a means of
compensation when someone is harmed.

When we - you and me - have our privacy violated and the express
promises of our service contracts violated, we are harmed.

Any internet provider that violates a law or its contracts should
compensate the victims.  That is just and proper.

Insofar as AT&T and others have violated my privacy and violated their
agreement with me (I am an AT&T customer) than they should compensate
me.  That is just, proper, and in the spirit of long established law.

EFF aspires to justice.  I am proud that EFF has held to the ancient
principle that where there is a wrong the law should seek a remedy.

It is sad that on this list a very good person has been directly defamed
and insulted.  I have known John Gilmore for years.  He is neither
"raving" nor a "lunatic".  He is a decent, rational, and charitable
person who believes that people should be citizens rather than subjects.
  He believes strongly in the individual human being and deeply resents
arbitrary and capricious restraints on individual liberty.

In our aspirations for internet governance we would be well served by
adopting the views of EFF and John Gilmore that people do matter, that
legitimacy of bodies of governance ultimate comes from those people, and
that asking questions, requiring answers, and holding to principle is to
be admired, not condemned.

And we should always seek to construct our systems of internet
governance on broadly accepted principles of justice and with deep
regard for the mechanisms, many dating from the 18th century, to help
prevent the growth of lawless and arbitrary institutions of governance.

The EFF is our friend in that endeavor.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org