[governance] Comments on Rio - Suggestions for Delhi - main

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 16 08:10:56 EST 2008

Bill

> Ok. if that's what you had in mind I would make it clearer you propose
> to talk about EC per se.  Of course, if you're suggesting this as a IGC
> proposal we'll need to get consensus on it.  If people here do agree,
> it'll still be a hard sell in the consultation and mAG, but worth a try...

Anything of substance and any real public policy issue (the main mandate of
IGF to discuss) apparently will be a hard sell with MAG. And if one goes on
to draw the implication that there is an attempt to make IGF what is was not
supposed to be, and thwarting efforts to make it do what it was supposed to
do, it draws comments about attributing motives to people and such..
Anyway..

About EC there is an active effort, also pointed to by McTim (an EC
taskforce) whereby whats happening at IGF itself is considered by some to be
THE EC. That can be one point of view, lets discuss it...

Now, even if this is THE EC, then why cant it be the one receiving annual
reports from the involved organizations as per para 77 of TA. (Who else
should receive it ?) This is somewhat like IGPs proposal on ICANN as the
shiftover mechanism from the US-ICANN JPA.

JPA is one the most discussed issues in the IG public policy arena today.
And if one wants to move over from US govs oversight - which most global CS
people want - we cant examine the institutional form which will take its
place.

The ALAC's draft response to NTIA on JPA says that "We suggest that in
preparation for the final transition of ICANN away from the JPA, an
institutional form should be found that ensures that ICANN does not lie
under the authority of any single national legislation."

In fact I wanted the plenary subject to be wider on what this possible
institutional form could be rather than specifically point to EC - so as to
not foreclose options. (EC would in any case have got discussed within this
framework). But you find it vaguely worded and I am unable to make it
clearer. So lets propose EC directly in the title, and any other options may
be discussed under this title.

Now, if IGF doesn't want to discuss these most important public policy
issues which seems to be on the mind of most people, than it is shirking its
responsibility, and it is the job of CS to tell it that. We will propose
what we think are the most important public policy issues right now, let
them reject these if they will.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org