[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Fri Feb 15 08:01:02 EST 2008

Hi all

I can see that the discussion on the the internet technical community is
very lively... my two cents on these discussions.

I acknowledge the great and unique impact of that community on the past
and on-going development of the internet but my personal point of view
is that we cannot consider that community as a fourth stakeholder group
which deserves equal representation in the MAG, like the classic  more
or less well defined three types of stakeholders. Mainly because this
group of people is/can be already present in all the others, like
academia. In the same time, we can't say they won't be formally and
specifically part of the MAG, due to the key role they play and have in
relation to IG.

A proposal is that we have a group of Technical IG Advisers (TIGAs :-)
as we have other advisors. If we have 40 members for the MAG, 4 TIGAs
may be appointed/included and the other stakeholders will provide 12
each (ideally).

(Maybe it's appropriate now to redefine what CS is. Not along with this
discussion, if not we might waist time (regarding the adoption of a
text). Because there are many concepts of CS and the old classic
definition is no more totally valid since some private sector
stakeholders may claim there are within the CS.)

Other comments on the renewal of the MAG (reaction to the text Parminder
proposed on 11 February):

I agree it's good to recommend the Secretariat to use "MAG" instead of
"AG"; that IGF Secretariat funds at least 5 least developed and
developing country stakeholders for open consultations; agree that the
working methods and decision making procedures of the MAG should be more
clearly defined; I like the idea of having working groups within the
MAG. I would even propose that starting from now, half of the MAG
members should rotate each year, but maybe 1/3 is wiser. SG Advisers in
the MAG's role and the status of their contributions in MAG discussions
should also be more clearly precised. Having only one Chair and a
second  deputy Chair (from the host country) is a good option.

Finally I think funding participation of *all* CS members and developing
country private sector members of the MAG is required.

Regards

Ken L
     governance at lists.cpsr.org