[governance] Comments on Rio - Suggestions for Delhi -

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Feb 14 10:56:22 EST 2008

I beg to differ with Suresh. 'Soft as a whisper' oversight of ICANN by
IGF began in Athens. It was more explicit in Rio, and will continue in
New Delhi.

It's not a matter for consensus on this list or elsewhere, it's just
what's happening.  More debatable is how it evolves from there.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
Parminder wrote:

> enhanced cooperation (EC). Not only know, it is the right and the
responsibility
> of THE global Internet public policy forum ie IGF to discuss various

* EC is very important - and there is extensive scope within the
existing
mechanism for this.

* Trying to gain even soft oversight functions over ICANN is a
nonstarter
and doesn't have much consensus here

> Weren't development and capacity building cross-cutting themes for
both
> Athens, and Rio. I can understand if oyu do not remember, because that

They were, and rightly so. I find it amazing that CS groups that already
do
such a lot of this tend to play down its importance.

	suresh

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org