[governance] Comments on Rio - Suggestions for Delhi - main

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Feb 14 05:52:59 EST 2008

McTim

Though you have advised against our carrying on this discussion, there is
something I just must comment on

> 1) Internet admin bodies are squarely within the realm of CS,

No way, forget it. No body that exercises power in realms that directly
affect other people (and a considerable number of them, all internet users)
can be considered CS. Even by the definition you picked (at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Society#Definition )it wont pass. Tell me
one category in this definition where any body exercises direct and explicit
(and not merely implicitly) power on any group/ community outside the body.
Please do not misuse the term CS in this manner.

I can still understand someone arguing that one can be CS and still be on
these bodies, but to say these bodies are a part of the CS is just the
limit.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org