[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Thu Feb 14 03:38:05 EST 2008

Le 14 févr. 08 à 02:02, Jeremy Malcolm a écrit :

> On 13/02/2008, at 7:43 PM, Parminder wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, we are the opinion that the organizations/
>> bodies that are
>> in charge of Internet administration currently (ICANN, RIRs, IETF
>> etc)
>> should have a right to be represented as a distinct category,
>> which not to
>> be confused with technical expertise, should be referred to as '
>> existing
>> Internet administration bodies' (IABs) and a clear separate quota
>> of around
>> 6 should be set for them. The rest of the number should equally be
>> divided
>> among governments, civil society and the business sector. The
>> representatives of IABs will have the same standing as other
>> members of the
>> MAG.
>
> Thanks for these draft statements.  I agree with Bill about
> avoiding the acronym "IAB" (how about IGB or IGI for Internet
> governance body/institution?), and personally I would have taken a
> different tack, suggesting that Internet governance institutions
> should be treated the same as intergovernmental organisations who
> are allowed to appoint observers to the group.  I won't block
> consensus though if the group prefers your approach.

As for the acronym:
- prefer "body" or "institution" rather than "organization" (which
sounds more incorporated - think of IETF)
- prefer "administration" or "management" rather than
"governance" (we want to distinguish them from IGF, right?)
- "Internet" seems unavoidable:)
==> IMB, IMI, IAI are possible acronyms.

As for the status in MAG:
We have to show coherence in our statement: the whole point is that
this "technical community", renamed or not, shouldn't be a
stakeholder of the same nature as governments, business, civil
society (which are the sole three natural stakeholders of any global
governance forum), but more relevant players, ad hoc to the specific
governance field (Internet). If IGF was dealing with, say,
environment governance, then we would still have gov, biz, cs, and
some other ad hoc players.
I do agree with Jeremy that, because of their nature, they should be
treated in the same way as, probably not intergovernmental
organizations in general (i.e. not like OECD, CoE, La Francophonie,
etc.), but certainly as UN Agencies involved in the field (ITU,
UNESCO, etc.).
Suresh's point about observers status is right in general, but
remember that here we're talking of the MAG, and the important word
here is "Advisory": it's fine for an observer to advise in such an
arena.

As for the number/quota:
Strategically, it's not a good idea to give a number. First reason is
that we don't know the future size of the MAG (6 out of 40 may be
fine, 6 out of 20 is far too much). Second reason is that these
bodies will immediately start to count themselves, and the discussion
will soon be focused on the quota. Third reason is that giving them a
quota may weaken the point that they're not a stakeholder of the same
nature as gov, biz and cs.
So we should prefer a general formulation like, e.g., "in addition to
the three stakeholders represented in equal proportions, the MAG
should include a limited number of representatives of other relevant
players: Internet Management Institutions operating at global level,
Intergovernmental organizations and UN agencies relevant to and
active in Internet governance.
Or any other formulation that leaves for later discussions the quota
issue.

Best,
     governance at lists.cpsr.org