[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Wed Feb 13 20:02:07 EST 2008

On 13/02/2008, at 7:43 PM, Parminder wrote:

> On the other hand, we are the opinion that the organizations/bodies
> that are
> in charge of Internet administration currently (ICANN, RIRs, IETF etc)
> should have a right to be represented as a distinct category, which
> not to
> be confused with technical expertise, should be referred to as '
> existing
> Internet administration bodies' (IABs) and a clear separate quota of
> around
> 6 should be set for them. The rest of the number should equally be
> divided
> among governments, civil society and the business sector. The
> representatives of IABs will have the same standing as other members
> of the
> MAG.

Thanks for these draft statements.  I agree with Bill about avoiding
the acronym "IAB" (how about IGB or IGI for Internet governance body/
institution?), and personally I would have taken a different tack,
suggesting that Internet governance institutions should be treated the
same as intergovernmental organisations who are allowed to appoint
observers to the group.  I won't block consensus though if the group
prefers your approach.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org