[governance] Comments on Rio - Suggestions for Delhi - main

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Feb 13 16:50:58 EST 2008

Parminder,

> In my view an over-arching theme means exactly nothing. Don't you think so,
> with the experience of Athens and Rio. For instance, I heard no panelist in

I meant that the whole thing should be about IG, institutions and issues,
which is entirely consistent with your sentence (although you may have a
special reading of that language).  I don't understand your point on Athens
Rio, there was no overarching theme, really.

> Yes, one should be development agenda in IG (Swiss and APC suggest WGs on
> this), and one can be on assessing WSIS principles... but my suggestion of

More generally, it should be said that the Swiss paper is really very good
from a CS standpoint----probably the best fit with CS positions on multiple
points I've seen from any government since the WSIS IG debate began.  OFCOM
hits not just the development agenda (they co-sponsored the Rio WS) and WSIS
principles ideas, but also WGs, upstream linking of workshops and main
sessions, need for a multi-vocal outcome doc, public service considerations,
plus pressing for funding commitments, clarification of enhanced
cooperation...This on top of them making CS' case in ITU for us.  Shows that
inter-species dialogue can be productive, worth remembering in drafting
etc...

> assessing the global public policy landscape is different. It will assess
> who makes or doesn't make what policy, what gaps remain (which are
> acknowledged in TA, and I think we all agree there are major gaps, the ICANN
> issue is also mainly bec of these gaps, if it were only doing tech functions
> and not public policy functions we will have little problem with it), what
> can be done abt these gaps, what was meant by enhanced cooperation, how is
> it going or not going, what can be done about it etc...

Sort of your pre-Rio formulation, a bit abstract as a main session rec.
maybe specify what issues and institutions you're addressing?

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org