[governance] Reconstituting MAG

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Feb 13 04:45:42 EST 2008

Hi,

On 2/12/08 6:32 PM, "Lee McKnight" <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote:

> 3) But agreeing on new definitions of 'technical community' or CS or  pretty
> much anything in 2 weeks time is going to be hard to achieve on a listserv;
> maybe worth trying but more important is to get most of Parminder's draft
> tuned by rough consensus hopefully so it can go forward as our collective
> views.

Right, as demonstrated by the McTim/Parminder exchange.  Less than two weeks
to the consultation, lots of issues outstanding and not being worked
through, and presumably we'd want the secretariat to post a caucus statement
to the website prior, meaning next Thursday-Friday latest.  With no
consensus likely, if people feel we simply must address this now, the only
option would be to use the voting mechanism, so several days for that would
have to be factored in, meaning the draft would have to be complete by
Monday or so (and if I recall an earlier message from Avri correctly, the
system used for our prior vote isn't available).  And if we do manage to
vote, then what?  Let's say we release a statement saying that the caucus
decided by a vote of 12 to 8 or whatever that henceforth the people who
refer to themselves and are referred to by others as the technical community
should now be called the "current IG dispensation' group" (Guru) or the
"representatives of existing Internet administration bodies" (Ian)?  What do
we expect to happen in consequence?

This is not "self-censorship," Meryem, I'm just asking what sort of process
and outcome is envisaged on this.  And on the other issues covered in
Parminder's draft, some of which are more tractable both here and in the
larger environment.

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org