[governance] ICANN Delhi, Workshop: Update on Internet Governance

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Feb 12 11:09:49 EST 2008

ICANN workshop on the IGF (yesterday), transcript available from
<https://delhi.icann.org/files/Delhi-WS-IGF-11Feb08.txt>

Markus suggests ICT and environment as a possible topic for the Delhi
IGF, he mentions comments by Fujitsu's chairman during the Rio
meeting (copied below.) This is going to be a key policy issue this
year: apparently came up in Davos, will be the subject of two ITU
meetings (as Izumi mentioned), a GIIC/WEF meeting, some talk it might
find its way into the OECD ministerial and perhaps G8.

I think another pressing issue will be critical physical
infrastructure (another cable break, SE Asia last year, Western Asia
etc this).

Last year there was a bit of discussion about what was meant by CIR,
perhaps for Delhi we could split CIR as two main themes, one
addressing physical resources (cable, power etc) and the other DNS
and ICANN (unique identifiers)?

I suggested on the MAG list last week it might be possible to merge
ICTs and the environment in with physical resources (fits with data
centers?), but this contribution for the next consultation from IISD
is well worth a look
<http://www.intgovforum.org/rio_reports/Sustainable_Development%20-%20Theme_Proposal_for_IGF_New%20Delhi%20-%20IISD_FINAL.doc>
suggesting sustainable development be adopted as new theme for the
Delhi meeting, and ICT and environment would be part of that theme.

Would need to make sure that discussions are tied to notions of
Internet Governance, and not just workshops and main sessions held
because they happen to be interesting and generally about the
Internet.

Thoughts?

Adam

Rio opening session: