[governance] Reconstituting MAG

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Feb 12 07:25:24 EST 2008

Hi,

A few observations in relation to Parminder¹s promising draft statement and
related matters.

Drafting Process.  This has been said a number of times by various people
since the WSIS days but again, it really would be a lot easier to work out
consensus on draft texts using a wiki.  It¹s pretty labor intensive trying
to dig through list traffic in order to keep straight multiple conversations
on different points in the text and figure out the state of play on each,
particularly when all messages have the same heading.   Maybe it won¹t be
possible in this case with the consultation being soon, but down the road
wouldn¹t it make sense to put one up linked to whichever website we want to
use going forward, Adam¹s old one www.net-gov.org or Avri¹s newer one
www.igcaucus.org?  (Also would be nice consolidate all docs at whichever,
many caucus statements etc are at neither---would need a little WG to do
this stuff I guess).

Document Format and Distribution.  We have often made statements of 1-2
pages covering multiple points and just read them out, and inevitably some
of those points fail to resonate and remain focal points of the conversation
as listeners¹ attention wanders etc.  Might not it make sense to a) have
topical headers for each point or cluster of points, b) in making the
statement, signal the chair that we would particularly welcome follow-on
discussion on xyz so he explicitly puts it to the floor, and c) put a big
stack of hard copies at the back of the room next to the inevitable ISOC/ICC
snazzily formatted contributions?

Number and Composition of MAG Members.  While I understand the rationale for
Milton and McTim suggesting a radical reduction in numbers, I suspect it¹s a
non-starter on political grounds and support Parminder¹s wording on size and
rotation.  On reducing the number of government participants, on the hand,
this is tough not only because of the regional formulas etc but also just
because of the need for political buy-in, which obviously isn¹t acute across
the board.  On the other hand, it would seem that some don¹t contribute much
to the dialogue and that their presence has not translated into financial
and political support for IGF.  Would it be sensible to add a sentence or so
suggesting a slight reduction in the context of overall rebalancing and that
we¹d hope that only governments that are prepared to attend and actively
contribute would seek to be represented?  Or would that be viewed as unfair
to lurkers needed on diversity grounds, e.g. LDCs?

In a similar vein (I guess this goes to both selection and rotation), would
it be sensible to suggest a no empty seats sort of rule? Empanelling and
retaining people that are not in a position to or just don¹t come in order
to have diversity on the masthead seems like a wasted opportunity.

Technical and Administrative Community.  We¹ve had this debate on and off
since WGIG, and while I always argued for the position reiterated in
Parminder¹s draft (which has never been particularly well received by anyone
other than a few developing country governments), arguably, that ship set
sail some time ago.  The decision was made to (over) include them, albeit
sans explicit labeling, so to now argue that they removed even if only as an
implicit category is a rather divisive proposition, and one on which we¹d be
unlikely to get consensus or prevail.  So do we want to go back and restart
the argument, which would probably not play out in a reasoned manner,
invites broader ontological debates (what is CS, what is the public
interest...), and could distract attention from other issues?  At this point
I¹m inclined to support Adam¹s view,

> My problem with the technical community isn't
> that they are represented, but there are too
> many.  11 or 12 I think, with only 6 or 7 from
> private sector and civil society respectively.
> And I think people generally recognize a close
> alignment between the private sector and
> technical community (it is certainly apparent
> inside the MAG.)  So I would rather see a
> rebalancing, for example with perhaps the tech
> community dropped to 5 or 6 of the roles McTim

Co-chairs.  Agree with the point but think the pararaph could be more
concise. Wouldn¹t hurt to note that on this we agree with PS & T&A.

Inter-sessional Work and Mandate.  To me these are key topics.  I¹m glad
Parminder touched them, but I¹m not sure a series of questions on each is
the most effective approach.  I wonder whether it¹d be possible for us to
positively state the case for something, e.g. a MAG-linked but more open WG
(I think we once endorsed WGs, know I did, and APC did more recently...)

Listservs.  We¹ve had this parallel thread but the issue¹s not mentioned in
the draft statement.  Wouldn¹t it have more oomph if we did it here rather
than just as an informal Œsense of the caucus¹ conveyed by Adam and Jeanette
to the mAG?  It seems that there's support for two lists, subject to Adam¹s
proviso,

> Could this tendency be avoided if before a thread's started on the
> closed list or moved to the closed list there must be a note about
> this on the open list. All would then know there was a discussion
> going on, and at some point it would be summarized back (in some
> form).  If the closed list were used to excess then it should be
> obvious.

I understand Jeremy¹s desire regard the third inclusive list but just don¹t
see mAG people, particularly governmentals, doing this.

Cheers,

Bill