[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Feb 12 06:34:13 EST 2008

McTim

There are many parts of your email that I will like to engage with, but lets
try to focus on the main issue involved. About definition of the technical
community, and the nature of their representation in the MAG.

> Before we define "internet Technical Community, I would say that we as
> a group need to define what is CS.  However, since, in our charter, we
> have "The Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) was originally created by
> individual and organizational civil society actors who came together
> in the context of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS)
> to promote global public interest objectives in Internet governance
> policy making.", I would say CS for us are those folk whose interests
> are to  "promote global public interest objectives in Internet
> governance policy making."
>
> Is this an acceptable definition?

Pl note,

(1) as per the quoted statement IGC includes only 'civil society actors' who
'promote global public interest'. At the time of voting we had used the
self-assessment criterion for describing who is CS, but we do have some
limits in mind, and would use them if some very clear deviant behavior is
observed. Also we do not mean that no other actors (non CS) could possibly
promote public interest, we just do not include them in our group. So, your
definition is not acceptable. Not everyone promoting public interest in IG
policy making is included in CS/ IGC. I know many government officials who
for sure promote public interest.

(2) though we (IGC) haven't described 'public interest' (and there is always
this desire to define it better, which we shd) every advocacy group like
ours work on some, stated or unstated, common values and broad meaning of
'public interest'. Abt the tech community somewhere else you say, everyone
is welcome, and you gave an interesting Tunisian example. This is not true
of any CS advocacy group, and it is not true of this group. For instance, a
religious group with some funny views on gender equality will immediately be
thrown out. So, also with regards to matters involving basic interpretations
of HRs.

> what really is the definition of this technical community??
>
> Well, IMO, pre WSIS, the "internet community" was those folks involved
> in ICANN/IETF/RIR/NOG/INET/ccTLD/ISOC/$NAME_OF_GROUP.
> Literally dozens of organisations (maybe hundreds or thousands). Now,
> post-WSIS, we include everybody in the world as "Internet
> Stakeholders", as we are all affected by the Internet in some way.  So
> the previously $NAMED groups are now being called "Internet technical
> community".
>
> In short, all are welcome, so I am not sure there can be A definition,
> It's certainly out of scope for the likes of me.  It may even be out
> of scope for this list (we can define ourselves, but can we impose a
> definition on another group, however overlapping)?

A political definition of a group has to be with respect of the interests it
represents, not by membership of organizations, as you give above.  We
already have proposed that these organizations be given representation
separately. The problem is why they seek this nebulous caucusing around an
indefinable 'technical expertise' community. I think both sides (these
organizations, and the general tech community) do derive some power from
this 'alliance' which is THE problem. (sorry to make  a negative analysis of
this kind.)  As I said people with technical expertise are welcome to work
with others in the CS for promoting public interest, why do they seek
separate constituency and recognition. And why don't these organizations
agree to just seek representation of themselves rather than this
unidentifiable tech community, with which a lot of (well deserved) virtue
and a certain halo is associated - which, the submission here is, is used to
feign legitimacy.

Those who holds position of power (to be able to make substantial
contribution to any decision that impacts other people's life) in any of
these organizations are to be treated differently than those who merely
engage with them (ALAC/NCUC etc). As a citizen, I myself do engage with my
government in many structural forms, some of them very participatory. That
doesn't make me a part of the government. I know horizontal IETF like groups
(but not ICANN) are different. Here if you have strong influence on decision
making, in that identity you hold power, and are accountable to others. In
the identity of a participant you yourself may extract accountability of
others. So yes you can be within these organizations like IETF can be in CS
as well, but it does not obliterate the line between power-exercising
institutions, and CS. Your commitment within the CS group will be to the
agreed/ understood common public interest objectives, and not of promoting
any institutional form for 'its own sake', as a rep of that institution is
likely to do.

So, unless we are committed not to see it, the different between power (in a
very broad meaning) exercising institutions and civil society is not
difficult to see. And this distinction is the very basis of possibilities
and mechanisms of extracting accountability of institutions, the central
task of CS. Confounding the two does great damage to CS's cause, and this is
the reason we are trying to make this distinction.

Now,
> post-WSIS, we include everybody in the world as "Internet
> Stakeholders", as we are all affected by the Internet in some way.  So
> the previously $NAMED groups are now being called "Internet technical
> community".

This is abusing the meaning of 'community'. Just say Internet technical
admin groups/ organizations or the like. There can be no 'community' which
exercises power through and as these organizations and an outside community
that is subject to their decisions. There is no meaning in speaking of a
power-exercising community within (wider)community. This description doesn't
have any meaning in the way the term community is supposed to be used. And
the semantics of 'community' is a very political terrain, perhaps the most
political of all.

These groups you speak of may be big and diverse (though not always, in
terms of real power-excercing), and we should factor it in. But calling it a
community is not appropriate. They exercise power, and if they weren't we
all wont be wasting time here seeking methods to ensure their
accountability. (and no one seeks accountability of a 'community'. It is
supposed to be the most sovereign of all entities - ideally.)

That is the problem we have in describing these groups you speak of as a
'community'. This is an attempt to legitimatize them without external
accountabilities we seek of them. So lets call them what they are, a couple
of power-exercising organizations, some of them very democratically managed
(like some more democratic states, or even more so) and let CS organize in a
manner in relation to them that is basically accountability extracting - but
also keep space for strategic and tactical partnerships to further public
interest, as we do with other sectors.

At this point whether 6 seats or 10 for this group is not the main issue,
its conceptual and real nexus with CS which creates problems for CS to carry
out its required tasks effectively is the issue.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org