[governance] Reconstituting MAG

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Tue Feb 12 04:27:57 EST 2008

Le 12 févr. 08 à 08:15, Parminder a écrit :

>> Clearly the contentious issue here is the representation of the
>> "technical
>> community" (many of whom are not very technical at all so it is a
>> misnomer
>> in itself). It might be better to call them representatives of
>> current
>> internet administration bodies if we want more accuracy and want to
>> include
>> people like Chris Disspain and Matt Shears under this heading.
>
> Very Much Agree, Ian. We would have a done the IG arena some very
> useful
> service if we questioned the term' tech community' in the manner
> you have
> suggested and clarify its meaning and usage.

Strongly agree too. Not only this (conceptually as well as
politically) much needed clarification would be useful for the IGF,
but for other arenas, including intergovernmental organizations that
are currently making some steps towards "inclusion" of non-gov, non-
business actors. And, wherever these efforts are undertaken to
include civil society, the "technical community" as an additional
stakeholder is now mentioned. We have to avoid this very dangerous
slippery slope.
[Note that sometimes there are also tentatives to include "academia"
as a stakeholder per se. This generally rather occur is arenas
traditionally focusing on cultural issues, e.g. Unesco. Although this
shoudn't be ignored, it has less consequences, specially since
"academia" could easily be merged (back) with civil society.]

We have two main objective arguments to advance this clarification:
1. internet administration bodies exist, are well identified as
organized bodies (be they incorporated or not), and can be
*represented*. In addition, their number (less than 10) is manageable.
2. as Parminder has clearly explained, "Technical community’s
presence is based on the requirement of necessary expertise, and
therefore is of a different nature." So the technical expertise, as
well as any other kind of expertise, is transversal not only to any
organization or body in the IG field, and is present inside all
stakeholders (governments, business, internet administration bodies,
civil society). This means that the technical expertise does not need
to be a requirement at the global arena level, but at the stakeholder
level, leaving up to each stakeholder to include technical expertise
when found necessary.

Back to the MAG issue specifically, and regarding Adam's concern that
it would be difficult to thin down the MAG because of government
representation. If there's one stakeholder that is well organized,
it's the governmental stakeholder, no doubt in this. Governements may
follow their well defined structuration following the UN regions, and
there are 6 of them.

Otherwise, the MAG can only get bigger, per the equal division
between stakeholder requirement, and based on the so-called "equal
footing" claim of the IGF.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org